Common Core State Standards: RF.K1a, RF.K1c, RF.K2a, RF.K3c, L.K2a, L.K2bA sweet story to help students learn the months.
- Children read the story which includes 58 sight words (Many from the Dolch word list.), helped by picture clues.
- Students trace the month word and then write it. They also color, cut and glue the matching numbered pictures to the page.
- In order to cover the above standards, have students circle the beginning capital letter as well as identify and circle the ending punctuation.
- When everyone has completed their booklet, read it aloud as a whole group, so you can cover concepts of print, as well as review aspects of rhyme.
- Whenever I'm reading a rhyming story, I ask students what other words rhyme with those words, to make sure they are understanding.