1-2-3 Come Do Some Spider ABC Activities With Me
Although I really don’t care for spiders, it’s one of my students’ favorite themed-units.
I keep things non-creepy with nursery rhymes, fun stories and interesting crafts. Spiders are also a fun fall theme, if you don't do Halloween; or if you do, these spider activities are a fun educational activity for Halloween week or party day.
Each month I switch up my center and table top activities, with whatever theme we have for that week. Just a few simple tweaks and everyday practice becomes exciting and fresh.
With that in mind, I designed these spider-themed activities to help my students practice upper & lowercase letters.
Each year my Y5s are super-excited to “get their turn” to visit these "new" October centers, and play the games; which make letter practice a lot of fun for them.
The Packet Includes:
* Large and small patterns to make “Clippy the spider” an alphabet clothespin game. Use for a center, assessment, whole group craftivity, game for struggling students, or fun homework assignment.
This is an inexpensive game to make, as The Dollar Store sells packs of "hinged" clothespins. Students clip the lowercase letter clothespin, to the matching uppercase letter on the spider.
Younger kiddos can simply practice one-to-one correspondence and match UC to UC or LC to LC letters.
I've included a smaller pattern, as a super-fun way to practice as a whole group, which is also a quick and easy way to whole group assess. My Y5s love making their own spider and even name them!
Children get just one clothespin. Teacher calls out a letter, students find it and clip their clothespin, then hold up their spider. You can see at a glance who is having difficulty.
You can use pipe cleaners or paper strips to make the spider's legs. The packet also includes...
* Spiderweb letter cards (separate upper & lowercase sets) to play a variety of games with: “What’s the Mystery Letter?”, “Kaboom”, “Memory Match”, “I Have; Who Has?” and “Flip It!”
I’ve included a 4-page “tip list” filled with ideas of how to use the ABC cards + directions for the games that I know your students will really enjoy.
There are also a variety of worksheets...
* 5 “trace & write” worksheets are a simple way to practice both upper and lowercase letters
* “I spy!” is another whole group game that practices upper or lowercase letters, which I use as a quick, easy and super-fun way to whole group assess too. One student game sheet, can be used 5 times!
* The 3 “Spin to Win” worksheet games are especially fun for students. For your convenience I've also included an ...
* Assessment worksheet, where students match the lowercase letter to the matching uppercase letter, plus 2 individual assessment forms, one for uppercase and another for lowercase letters. You can assess 4 times with one recording sheet.
* The “Spider Slider” craft is one of my students' favorites. It's another fun way to practice and whole group assess upper or lowercase letters, as there is a "slider" strip for each.
To practice patterning, have students choose 2 or 3 different color crayons or markers, then trace the letters in an AB-AB or ABC-ABC color pattern.
You can do "double duty" by using the "Clippy" spider pattern as a slider too.
Simply glue the upper or lowercase letter circle to the back, then cut slits in the spider's body on the front and insert the uppercase slider!
When students are done "sliding" they can use a paperclip and fold up the strip, then clip away for the other game.
* There's a “spiderific” certificate of praise (4 on a page) bookmark, which students can color.
Today's featured FREEBIE also has a cute little spider theme. "Shapin' Up With Spiders" will help your students practice 2D shapes.
Well that's it for today. Thanks for stopping by.
It's October and temps hit 79 in Michigan today! (What?) I just turned the heat on yesterday when it was 47 outside. No complaints though...
Time to go take my poodle pup Chloe for a romp. Wishing you a blessed day.
"Education is the kindling of a flame; not the filling of a vessel." - Socrates