1-2-3 Come Do Some Letter Gg Activities With Me
I find that if my kiddos can compare the hard & soft Gg sounds side-by-side, with a variety of different activities, their reading and spelling of those words is much more successful.
A few little rules, lots of examples and fun ways to practice, will help reinforce the different Gg sounds.
So I created this packet. I started out with just the gorilla & giraffe flip booklets, but as I was designing, I also wanted to include other quick, easy, and fun activities, where students could practice in other ways.
The variety keeps things fresh, while allowing for continued practice without reinforcement becoming boring.
Thus, the packet grew into jumbo size, as I combined both the hard and soft Gg activities into a BUNDLED packet.
They mirror each other, as the activities for the hard g have a matching soft g counterpart, which makes comparison super easy as well as fun.
Simply put, I know this “stuff” works because it’s worked for me.
My students are focused and engaged, enjoying learning some tricky things. I can use these centers year after year, which is a huge time saver. Win-Win.
The packet includes:
* A super-fun gorilla & giraffe flip booklet. So that teachers can quickly & easily make an example to share, I've included full color templates, as well as black and white so that students can make their own.
The "mouth" of the gorilla and giraffe flips up to reveal pages of a soft or hard Gg graphic, along with a "trace & write" word.
Choose your favorites or run them all off and give children a choice.
* The packet also includes 60 picture word cards with a tip list of games you can play, plus other ways to use them, as well as a nice selection of
* Posters, which you can use as anchor charts and a way to introduce the lesson.
* There are also a variety of "Word Work Worksheets", which includes alphabetizing as well as word searches. As with all of my packets, answer keys are included. Here are some more things that are included...
* 36 Ekonin Box cards with matching letters, makes for a quick, easy & fun independent center.
* “Mixing Math With Literacy number PUZZLES.
* "Going to the Zoo” alliterative, “hard & soft Gg” story craftivity, packed with Dolch sight words.
The reading passage is sprinkled with hard & soft Gg alliteration, which is sure to tickle your students' tongues.
My kiddos LOVE reading this aloud, and enjoyed making their own "open the door" worksheet.
* “Feed the Gorilla & Giraffe” craft, with 194 (hard & soft Gg) word cards. (Snack crackers).The mini cards feature a banana (which gorillas love), as well as some acacia leaves, which giraffes are fond of.
My students actually ask to play this game they enjoy it so much! Woo hoo.
Choose which words you want to reinforce, print the pages, laminate and trim. Pass them out to your students. We gather in a circle and sit on the floor. I hold both boxes.
Students show their word card and everyone reads it together. If you want, they can also point out the vowel that helps give the word its sound, or explain that this is a word that's an exception to the rule, or that this word contains both sounds. They "feed" their card to the appropriate animal. Play 'til all of the cards have been "eaten".
Besides using the cards for "feeding" the animals, you can also use them for an independent center, where children sort X number of cards onto a gorilla or giraffe sorting mat.
You can use the variety of activities for...
* A whole group
* An independent center
* Partner fun
* Lessons for a sub folder
* A simple & quick time-filler or something for early finishers
* A game
* Something fun for ESL students or children who need extra help.
Today's featured FREEBIE is also a letter activity. The Alpha Cats packet is perfect any time of the year. Fun for a pet theme, and especially teriffic if your students are Pete the Cat fans, as these little kitties are wearing shoes!
Besides the upper & lowercase letter cards, there are also a few worksheets, plus I've included a 3-page tip list of ideas for using the cards, including the Kaboom game.
Well that's it for today. Thanks for stopping by.
My husband's brother flew in from Denver, so it's time to put on my hostess hat. Wishing you a happy day, filled with many memorable moments.
"It's all about quality of life. Finding that happy balance between work, play, family and friends." -Phillip Green