1-2-3 Come Do Some Vowel Activities With Me
The letter Yy is quite a unique letter, in that it can be both a consonant and vowel.
To complicate matters, the Y has several different phonemes (sounds). It can have a long e sound, as in worry, as well as a long i sound, as in fly.
With that in mind, I designed this Ys Guys & Spies packet, as recognizing special spellings for vowel sounds is part of successful decoding & word recognition.
Just like my best-selling ”Vowels & Villains” packet, instead of students being frustrated and tripped up with “exceptions to the rules”, they are prepared and get excited when they find a “spy” that they can “jail”.
The packet includes:
* A letter Y craftivity, where students create 3 different “Ys Guys“ writing the various Y words on their letters.
I've named them "Regular Y Guy" for words beginning with the letter Yy and having the "ya" sound, "Sky the Sly Spy Y Guy" for words ending with the letter Yy & having the long i sound, and then there's "Shifty the Shady Lady", for words ending with a Yy and having the long e sound.
* There are 3, Y Guys posters to introduce the lesson, with a matching word poster filled with lots of examples.
* A variety of worksheets that build vocabulary, including “Jail the Spies” fun.
* A “Letter Yy Word Booklet”.
* A short, 2-page “Ys Guys” emergent reader, with 36 Dolch sight words.
* A graphing extension of the last page in the emergent reader.
* 2 “Disguise” definition posters.
* 2 “Wanted” posters.
* 4 sorting mats, to sort the 160, mini word cards. Quick, easy & fun way to build vocabulary. Includes matching worksheets for more practice.
* A “Ys Guys” spinner game.
* Practice literacy & math at the same time, with 4, number-strip puzzles.
Students color, write on words associated with that "Y Spy Guy", cut & then glue the strips together to make a mosaic picture puzzle.
The number puzzles reinforce skip counting by 2s & 10s.
Click on the link to zip on over to my TpT shop to check out the latest Villians in this 58-page Ys Guys & Spies packet.
Since "bunny" is one of the Y Spy long e words, I thought my "I'm All Ears" bunny matching game, would be an appropriate featured FREEBIE for today.
Use the large & small pattern to make this quick, easy & fun center activity. My Popsicle sticks include matching games for upper & lowercase letters, numbers, shapes, colors, equations, and contractions!
Well that's it for today. We are having absolutely gorgeous fall weather for November!
The sunshine is calling me through my open window, so it's time to take a break and go play. Wishing you a stress-free day.
"Wherever you go, no matter what the weather, always bring your own sunshine." -Anthony J. D'Angelo