I know the year is at an end, but I just dreamed up Bird Words and am so excited. Hopefully you will be too, and can implement this program for next year.
I just had to blog about it today, because this 93-page packet, makes teaching word families simple and easy for you, and lots of fun for your kiddo's!
The Toucan will help make your students Can-Do Word Wizard Kids. These lessons plug in perfectly with your Word Work for Daily 5 activities too.
Students stay organized and keep everything in a neat folder for easy access!
The packet includes:
- A toucan Poster
- 34 word family header cards.
- 283 traceable word cards derived from the word family root prefixes.
- 5 Word Family apple word art "We're Studying Word Famiies!": posters/anchor charts.
- These can also be used as a cover for students' folders.
- (See the photo above for how these 1st 4 things are set up on your word family wall.)
- A blank set of cards for you to program with other word families.
- 34 "Trace and Write" worksheets that cover the 283 word family words.
- Covers to make the traceable word cards into Itty Bitty booklets
- A list of other things you can do with the cards including how to play the game Kaboom
- Kaboom bomb cards
- A self recording checklist of word families covered +
- 2 certificates of praise.
Click on the link to view/download Word Family Word Bird Packet
A perfect compliment to this packet is the Word Family Letter Wands!
Your students will have fun making "magic wands" out of 5 Popsicle sticks by simply putting a consonant on the front and back of each tip.
Words will "pop" out as they place the point in front of the words on their paper.
- Students write any words that appear on their recording sheet.
- The student with the most words when the timer rings receives a sticker on their sheet.
- As an alternative, have students think up silly nonsense words and then define them.
- For example, Zad, a friendly alien from the planet Zador.
- Students can keep this practice sheet and their "magic letter wands" in the above folders.
Click on the link to view/download Magic Word Family Wands
Be sure and pop in tomorrow for more teaching tips.
Do you have a word family activity you'd like to share? I'd enjoy hearing from you. firstname.lastname@example.org or feel free to post a comment here, especially if you use one of my ideas.
PIN away if you find something you feel would be helpful to others. I think sharing is so important.
May all your days be magical!