August's Recipe Of The Month
A kid in the kitchen with you is not only great quality time, but a wonderful math extension and great learning experience for them that includes all sorts of report card standards! So start making some memories today!
August's recipe is perfect for summer picnics, but keep it handy for school time for your lunches. I often make a double batch because it keeps in the fridge in a Tupperware™ dish for a week. It’s one of my family’s favorites. Whenever we have a shower or pot luck my own kids say: “Mom please bring your chicken salad!” I enjoy dabbling in the kitchen and adding ingredients to recipes to make them my own and this is one that turned out especially yummy. I hope you’ll enjoy it too!
- 4 large cans chicken
- 1 cup Helman’s™ mayonnaise (You can add more if you like your chicken salad creamier and less dry.)
- 2 tbs DRY Ranch Dressing (Or 1 Package if you bought the box.)
- 1 cup shredded cheese. (Cheddar or Colby Jack, whatever your family likes best.)
- 2 tbs parsley flakes
- 2 tbs creamed horseradish
- 4 stalks of finely chopped celery
- Optional: If you like “crunch”: add ¼ or ½ cup of sunflower seeds
- Open cans of chicken and drain the liquid.
- Toss the chicken in a large mixing bowl and gently shred the chunks into shredded pieces with your fingers.
- Add the powdered dry ranch dressing.
- Stir with a wooden spoon.
- I taste it, if you think it needs more “zing” add a bit more dry dressing.
- Add parsley flakes and stir.
- Wash and chop up the celery into fine pieces.
- Add to the chicken and mix in.
- Add the sunflower seeds if you want them in and stir.
- Add the mayonnaise.
- If the chicken salad is not moist enough for you add a bit more mayonnaise by the tablespoonful.
- Add the horseradish.
- Gently stir with a wooden spoon ‘til everything is blended well.
- Store in a Tupperware™ container
- I serve on the small croissants that Sam’s Club™ sells.
And before summer's totally gone, don't forget to make up one last batch of bubbles and blow your troubles away. Here's a cute site with some great Bubble Recipes.