February is avocado and banana month. Think about what your favorite fruits and veggies are and write about any of the following: Why is it important to eat fruits and vegetables? What are your favorite fruits and veggies? What fruits and veggies have you never eaten and would like to try? Or... Pretend you're a gourmet chef; plan a creative meal with a special vegetable dish and fruit dessert; what are you making, what does it look like, what's it called and who are you preparing it for and why?
It's National Boost Self-Esteem Month: Do you have good self-esteem? Why? Why not? How did you acquire it? What kinds of things cause you to have low self-esteem? High self-esteem? How can you help build up your friends' / younger siblings' self-esteem? Do those things and write about what happened.
It's also Expect SUCCESS Month. Write about what you'd like to be when you grow up. Or... What do you think it takes to be a successful person? Or... Who do you think is the most successful person you know, and why do you think they're successful? Or... If you could meet your favorite successful person, who would it be and why would you like to meet them? Or... Some people say: "You are what you believe!" Do you believe that believing in yourself is half the battle in being successful and that "attitude is essential"?
February is also Library Lovers Month! What's your all-time favorite book? Write a little summary about it and tell why it's your favorite.
It's National Black History Month. Choose a famous person, find several interesting facts about them and write a paragraph to share with your classmates. Going along with 100 Day, as a class, see if you can make a list of 100 African American people who have made an impact on our history.
100 Day: Other 100 Day writing ideas: I'd walk 100 miles for... (write who, what, why, when, where, how....details please!) I'd like 100 pounds of... Or... In 100 years I think the world will have changed by...
Happy Dental Health Month. Write about your first trip to the dentist and how you felt. Or... Pretend you're a mom or dad and explain how you would your kids about the importance of dental hygiene. Or... Pretend you're a dentist and you've just checked your best friend's mouth and they have 6 cavities! What do you tell them? Explain the scenario.
It's National Mend A Broken Heart Month. Write about how you'd go about helping someone mend their broken heart. Or... You're a columnist for a teen magazine, what advice can you give to young people when they break up? Or... has this happened to you? What does it feel like to have a broken heart? What did you do to get better?
Let's not forget to celebrate National Time Management Month! How do you manage to get everything done in a day? Are you organized? Do you get your work done on time? Do you fly around like a chicken with your head cut off, procrastinate, turn things in late, wonder where the day went, take your seat just as the bell rings? Write about it! How can you improve? How important is it to manage time wisely?
It's Responsible Pet Owner's Month! Do you have a pet? Describe your pet. How did you come by them? What's their name? (Details please!) If you don't have a pet, write about a pet you'd like to have and what you'd name them. Another topic would be cruelty to animals. You've seen the commercials on TV with those adorable abused pets. What are your feelings about that? How can you help? Would you like to get involved? Why/why not? Or... write about an incident you know of where an animal was not taken care of properly. Or... Here's the scenario: You have just won the "Most Outstanding Pet Owner Award. Write about the things you do to properly take care of your pet, that made the judges decide that you should win this trophy. Along with the trophy is a $100 prize. You need to spend the money on your pet. What will you buy?
This one made me LOL. It's Pull Your Sofa Off The Wall Month! Honestly, who thinks of these things? But....I thought it would be a fun writing prompt to write about rearranging and changing your room! You've got $2,000 to create the bedroom of your dreams. What does it look like? What's in it? How have you decorated it and why?
February 8-14 is "Love makes the world go 'round; but, laughter keeps us from getting dizzy!" Week. Write about something or someone that had you laughing really hard. Or... Write why you think laughing is an important thing to do. (They say: "Laughter is the best medicine." What does that mean?) Or... write about things that make you laugh. Or... Write about a funny experience you've had in your life that is really funny. Make us laugh! Or... Do you think that love really makes the world go 'round? Why?
February 12-15 is "Random Acts of Kindness" Week. Think of one, go out and do it and then write about what you did and the result it had.
February 17-23 is International Friendship Week. Spin the globe, touch your finger to a spot, find out something about the country where your finger landed, and write a letter to a pretend pen pal. Or... make up an international friend and write about him/her and why you are great friends.
February 4th is Bubble Gum Day! What's your favorite gum and why? Now include that information and write a story about the day that bubble gum saved the day! Or... write a story about the day that bubble gum ruined the day!
February 8th is Extraterrestrial Culture Day! Here's the scenario: A space ship has landed on the playground and abducted your class! Write about it. Or... A space ship has landed and taken over your school! Or... A space ship has landed and you have an alien for a teacher for one day. Or... An alien becomes your best friend.
February 8th is also "Laugh and Get Rich Day!" Write about how you laughed and got rich!
February 9th is Stop Bullying Day. Now this is a great idea. I HATE bullying. Have you ever been bullied? Write about that experience. How did you feel? What happened? What did you do? If not; write about what you'd do if you saw someone being bullied. Or... You've got magical powers (be sure to write what they are.) You're an anti-bully super hero! You show up on playgrounds when children are being picked on. What's your super hero name and what do you do to solve bullying problems?
February 17th is My Way Day. If you could have everything YOUR WAY for a day, what would your way be like and why.
Happy Presidents' Day February 21st. Which president is your favorite, Lincoln or Washington and why? Or... How is Obama's presidency different from Lincoln or Washington's presidency? Or... If you could meet the president, would you want to? Why or why not? Or... out of all of the presidents, which is your favorite? Why? Or... If it were possible, would you like to be president some day? Why or why not?
It's "Inconvenience Yourself Day the 23rd. What do you suppose that means? Why should it be celebrated? Or... When have you ever been inconvenienced? How did you feel? How did you handle the situation? What could you have done to avoid it? Or... Actually do it; inconvenience yourself for someone else. What did you do? Why did you do it? What were the results? How did you feel?
It's "Levi Strauss Day" the 26th. Some say this is the man who made blue jeans famous. Are blue jeans your favorite attire to wear? Describe your favorite outfit? What kinds of clothes do you feel most comfortable in?
I also wish you all the best as you celebrate Groundhog Day on the 2nd, 100 Day (on whatever day that lands on for you), and my personal favorite day of the year, Valentine's Day on the 14th!
I hope some of these National day, week and month-long celebrations get you excited to write. I'm a firm believer if you're enthused about a topic, the creative juices start flowing and you WANT to write. The more you write the better you get at it. The better you write, the more you want to write. So, as always, by all means....
For more writing prompts, click on the link. I've made a booklet that contains some for each month on a variety of topics!
Let’s celebrate the DAYS…
- March 1st is Plan A Solo Vacation Day. Here’s $10,000. Where are you going; what are you doing; how long are you going to be gone? Details please!
- March 3rd is I Want You To Be Happy Day! Write about several things that make you really happy and why. Or… Write about who you want to make happy and how you go about doing that.
- March 4th is Courageous Follower Day. They say that one should have the courage to die for the things they believe in. Do you have strong convictions about something that you are willing to die for? What are they? Or… do you have a hero that you think is really courageous; a person that you look up to? Why?
- USA Memory Day is March 5th. What’s your favorite childhood memory? You’re in a Time Machine and I’ve just warped you back to that year. Tell me about it.
- Daughters’ and Sons’ Day is March 7th. Pretend you are a parent. If you are a girl, you have a daughter. If you are a boy, you have a son. What have you named your child? What do they look like? Will you raise them like your parents are raising you or will you do things differently? Why or why not?
- It’s Mardi Gras the 8th. Check out the famous one in New Orleans, then picture this scenario: I’ve just given you $5,000. You can fly there with 3 friends. Who are you taking? How long will you stay? Where will you go? What will you do? Where will you stay? Details please-start to finish. Or… you have $2,000 and can have a Mardi Gras party here. Tell me all about it from the invites to the decorations; from your guests to the food and entertainment and where it will be held.
- It’s Get Over It Day! on the 9th. Who would you like to “Get Over” What? It can be yourself, friends, parents or people in general. Why so you want them to "Get over it"?
- March 9th is also Panic Day! What types of things throw you in an utter panic? What can you do to settle yourself down? Who is best at calming you?
- It’s International Day of Awesomeness on March 10th. What would make a truly awesome day for you? Or…who is the most awesome person you know and why are they so awesome?
- Donald Duck Day is March 13th. Out of all the cartoon characters past or present, which one are you most like and why?
- Daylight Saving Time begins on March 13th. Do you like Daylight Saving Time? Why or why not? What do you plan to do with the extra hours of daylight?
- March 14th is International Ask A Question Day. You can ask anyone living or dead one question and they will give you a correct answer! Who and what will you ask and why?
- It’s Brutus Day the 15th. Have you ever been bullied? Tell me about it. Or… here’s the scenario: You see 2 young children being bullied on the playground at recess. Both of them are crying. What do you do?
- Absolutely Incredible Kid Day is March 17th. You’re in charge of giving this award away. Who do you give it to and why? Or… Incredible Kid is a super hero and it’s you! What kinds of powers do you have and how do you make your school, family and the world a better place?
- Happy St. Patrick’s Day March 17th. You catch a leprechaun and he has to grant you 3 wishes. What are they and why are you wishing them? Or… you’ve followed the leprechaun to the end of the rainbow and he must give you his pot of gold. How much is in it and what do you spend it on and why?
- It’s Awkward Moments Day the 18th. What’s the most awkward moment you’ve ever had? If you could do it over what would you do differently?
- Forgive Mom and Dad Day is the 18th. Do you have to forgive your mom and dad for anything? Why is forgiveness important? Why is it hard sometimes? Is there anyone in your life right now that you need to forgive? How do you go about doing that?
- March 22nd is As Young As You Feel Day. If you could go back to being a certain age again would you? Why or why not. If yes, what age would you like to be again and why?
- It’s International Goof – Off Day the 22nd. Your teachers have said you can goof off all day at school! Sounds fun, but this could be sort of boring. All day is a long time, because you can’t leave school. So what are your plans?
- National Puppy Day is March 23rd. You can have any puppy you like. What does he/she look like? What do you name him/her?
- March 23rd is Kick Butts Day. Have you ever been tempted to smoke a cigarette? Would you like to try it? Why or why not? Do your parents/grandparents smoke? How do you feel about this? Or… Is your state a smoke free state? How do you feel about that?
- Make Up Your Own Holiday Day is March 26th. Go for it! What’s the name of your holiday and what are you celebrating and why?
- March 31st is Mule Day. Are you stubborn? Do you think it’s important to be stubborn about some things? Why or why not?
That’s it for the DAYS…
Now for the WEEKLY celebrations…
- It’s National Write A Letter of Appreciation Week the 1-7th. Who do you appreciate? Well what are you waiting for? Write them a letter telling them how much you appreciate what they do!
- The 6-12th is Celebrate Your Name Week. Do a little research then write about it. Ask your parents why they named you what they did. Do you like your name? Why or why not? What does your name mean? What are a few famous people that have your name? How popular is you’re name? Google names and you’ll find all sorts of cool sites and info.
- National Words Matter Week is also the 6th-12th. What are some words that really matter to you? Do they need to be said to someone special? How ‘bout saying them and writing down how that felt. OR…writing them down and delivering an anonymous message.
- This is a busy week as it’s also Read an E-Book Week. Read a short one and then compare that to a paper one you’ve read. Write a 2-paragraph compare and contrast paper of which media you like better. Or… do you think our society will ever become paperless? Why or why not? Share pro’s/con’s to that as well as your feelings.
- Moving on to the 7th-13th leads us to National Procrastination Week! Are you a procrastinator? Would you like to change?
- It’s Wildlife Week the 13-20. If you could be any animal in the wild what animal would you like to be and why? Or… out of all the animals running wild which one are you most like and why?
- Sherlock Holmes Weekend is the 18th-20th. Snuggle up with your buds and rent a classic as well as read a short story about this great detective then compare the two. Write about which you liked better. Or… You’re the detective. Someone’s been kidnapped from your school! How do you go about solving the crime?
Celebrating all MONTH long:
- It’s Adopt a Rescued Guinea Pig Month. You HAVE to carry this little critter with you at ALL times. What’s his name? What does he look like? How do you explain him to your family, teachers, and friends? You write the story.
- It’s Deaf History Month. To experience how this might feel plug your ears with cotton or ear plugs. Meditate for a while how awful it would be to have this disability and then write about it. Or… if you had to give up one of your senses which one would it be and why did you choose that one. Or… how can you as one person be kinder to the handicapped? Or… go online to one of the ASL sites and learn how to say at least 2 things in sign language and then write about which ones you chose and why. Then communicate in sign with a friend.
- It’s International Ideas Month. You’ve just received the green light for your patent. What’s your idea and how will it help mankind?
- You’re in charge of Music in Our Schools Month. Besides being allowed to play 10 minutes worth of music at the end of the day what else have you planned for students in your school and what music do you plan to play each day?
- National Athletic Training Month is going on. You’ve been invited to join the team of your dreams! Which one is it and why is that the sport for you?
- It’s National Color Therapy Month. So if colors improve a person’s mood what color have you decided to wear all month and paint your room? You’ve been given $2,000 for this makeover! Tell me about it!
- March is National Eye Donor Month. Here’s the scenario. You’ve been in an awful car accident where you lost your sight. A young person was killed in the other vehicle and donated their eyes and they are now yours. Tell me about this wonderful gift of sight and how you feel.
- It’s National Kite Month and you’re at the annual Kite Festival in Japan. What does your kite look like. Who’s with you and do you win?
- March is On-Hold Month. Being put on-hold drives me crazy! What kinds of things really bug you and what can you do to keep them from driving you bananas?
- March is National Women’s History Month. Pick a woman in history, do some research and write a 2-paragraph summary about them.
- It’s Optimism Month. Do you see the glass as half full or half empty? What are the advantages of being an optimist?
- It’s Poison Prevention Awareness Month. National Inhalant and Poisons Awareness Week is the 20-26th. Here’s the scenario: You go over to your friend’s home and they are ill from sniffing glue. What do you do? Why is this wrong and a dangerous thing to do? How can you help and advise your friend?
- The Ocean Festival Season begins March 5th and runs through June 13th. If you could be any creature mythical or real under the sea what would you be and why? Or… you’re the captain of a treasure hunting crew. You seek out sunken vessels. You’ve just found one! Tell me about your adventure from start to exciting finish.
I hope some of these national day, week and month-long celebrations get your students enthused about writing. I truly believe that if students are excited about a topic they will WANT to write. The more they write the better they'll get. The better they write, the more they'll want to write. It's like the proverbial snowball rolling down the hill.
Since it's almost springtime, let's use the analogy of a pebble thrown into a thawing pond where the ripples continue to reverberate! So, as always, by all means....
WRITE ON!For more writing prompts, click on the link. I've made a booklet that contains some for each month on a variety of topics!
What Can I Write About In January?
January is the Month of Resolutions. Look that word up in the dictionary. Think of 2 or 3 resolutions that you will or won’t do this year and then explain why you will and won't do them.
January 1-7th is Celebration of Life Week. Here are some ideas for that: Tell me in a paragraph why you are glad you are alive. Or… What do you hope to accomplish in your life that will make other people want to celebrate? Or… There used to be a show called “This is Your Life ______!” If you were on that show what would they say about your life thus far?
January 2-8th is “Someday We’ll Laugh About This Week!” Write about things that make you laugh, or an event or something that happened to you, that you and your friends are already laughing about.
January 8-14th is Universal Letter Writing Week. Write a letter to anyone you want that is living or dead, famous or not, talking about something that is important to you.
January 9-15th is Home Office Safety & Security Week. Since 9-11 things have really changed in our world. Do you feel safe at school? Do you feel safe at home? Why or why not? What things make you feel safe? What things are being done to make you feel safe? What can you do personally to make yourself feel safer?
Janury 9-15th is International Snowmobile Safety and Awareness Week. Have you ever ridden on or driven a snowmobile? Tell me about it. If not, would you like to? Why or why not? Or… What’s your favorite winter activity? Why?
January 15-17th is Bald Eagle Appreciation Days. This is our National Bird. When our country was choosing one Benjamin Franklin argued that the turkey would be a better choice. How would you have voted and why? Or… The Bald Eagle was near extinction because of the use of DDT. Write about your thoughts on how so many species are endangered. What do you think can you as a student can do about this problem?
January 16th-22nd is International Printing Week: Do you read the newspaper? Why or why not? Do you think it’s important for young people to listen to the news and be informed? Or…do you read magazines? What are the names of them? Why do you read them? Why are they your favorites? Or…Do you think printed “paper” material will eventually become nonexistent and everything will eventually be done on the computer online and we’ll become a virtually “paperless” society? How do you feel about that?
January 16-22nd is “Hunt for Happiness Week”. Tell me about the things that make you happy and why. Or…write about the happiest day in your life. Or…Plan an imaginary “Happy Day!” what would you include from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed, filling it with all the things and people that bring you the most joy.
January 16th-21st is National Professionals' Week. Tell me what you want to be when you grow up and why. Or…If you could have ANY job in the world what would it be and why? Or… If you could follow one professional person around for a week to learn from them, who would you shadow and why?
The Sundance Film Festival and the KidFilm Festival are the weeks of 20-30th and 22-25th. Tell me about your all-time favorite movie and why you like it so much. Or…Who are your favorite actress and actor and why? Or…if you could be a movie star, what kinds of films would you be in and why? In the early days of Hollywood stars changed their real names. Would you change your name? Why or why not? What would it be if you did? Or...if you could be one of your favorite filmstars for a day who would you be and why and what would you do?
No Name Calling Week is January 24th-28th. Has anyone ever called you a name? Tell me about it? Have you ever called anyone a name? Do you think this is hurtful/harmful? Do you think the nursery rhyme “Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never harm me!” is true or not? Why? Read the story Chrysanthemum. Tell me how you relate to that story or write a book review about it.
It’s National Take Back Your Time Week January 25-29th. If you had an instant replay button on your life, what days would you like to live over and why? Or…Are you an organized person who manages their time wisely or do you procrastinate, wait to the last minute, and fly by the seat of your pants? Are you happy with the way things are with your management of time, or does it stress you out? How can you improve? Do you want to?
It’s Apple and Apricots Month as well as Artichoke and Asparagus Month. What are your favorite fruits and vegetables? Do you eat enough of them? What fruits and vegetables don’t you like? Why don’t you like them? What fruits and vegetables have you never tried? Would you like to try them?
It’s National Soup Month! What’s your favorite mmm mmm good soup(s)? Why do you like it/them? What soup(s) don’t you like? What soup(s) haven’t you tried? Would you like to try it/them?
Well it's January and we're smack in the middle of winter. Do you like winter? Do you like the snow and chilly temperatures? How do you feel about Daylight Saving's Time and it being dark when you get up? Do you like winter sports and activities you can do outside in the winter better than other seasons? Is this your favorite season? Think about these questions and then write about how you feel about winter. If you're not in a cold and snowy state, would you like to live in a place that has cold weather and lots of snow? Or perhaps you do live in a cold state, would you rather live in a warmer state that doesn't have snow? Tell me your thoughts and....
For more writing prompts, click on the link. I've made a booklet that contains some for each month on a variety of topics!
What Should I Write About This Month?
Letter to Santa: Make it a bit more creative by adding a wrapping paper cover, a bit of curling ribbon, and a fancy tag. Have your students trace then write the sentences in an alternating red and green pattern with markers to make it a bit more fun. Click on the link to view/print the masters. Santa Letter
To Be Aware or not to be aware…
- December is National Awareness month. Organizers say that obliviousness is a national epidemic. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Their slogan is “Hey you! Come on, snap out of it!” They feel that people need to be more aware because being aware is related to decision making, prioritizing, and simply existing without bumping into the world around you. Do you agree or disagree? Why?
- Do you feel you are aware? Can you carry on a decent conversation? Do you know what’s going on in the world? Are you up on current events? Do you know who your political people (congressmen, governor, mayor, senators etc.) and lawmakers are? Could you identify them if someone showed you photographs? Are you aware of your surroundings, self, what makes your friends tick? On a 1-10 scale how do you rank your awareness with 10 being great?
National Drunk & Drugged Driving Month:
- Here’s the scenario: You’re at a party. Your friend’s older brother has a few of his college buddies over. They arrive with alcohol. You’re all underage. What do you do?
- Suppose you are of an age where you can drink, and you’re at a restaurant. One of the couples has had one too many, but still wants to drive you all home. What do you do?
- How do you say no to drugs when the “it” crowd is passing a joint around at “the” party of the year.
It’s a TIE:
- It’s National Tie Month. Design the winning tie. What does it look like? What’s it made of? Who’s wearing it? How much does it see for? Details please.
Read To Succeed!
- It’s “Read A New Book” month. What new book have you read? Write a 1 paragraph review. Who would you recommend it to? On a five-star ranking what do you rate the book?
- It’s rising star month. If you could truly be anything you wanted to be, including a moving star, or rock star. What would you want to be and why?
- Some people like reading horoscopes and feel they are true. Do you? Why or why not? What’s your sign? Tell me about how that does or doesn’t reflect you.
Let’s Here It For Safety!
- It’s Safe Toys and Gifts Month. Tell me about a favorite toy you received as a child for Christmas. What was it, why was it your favorite, do you still have it ? Details please.
- What is your favorite gift to give? What’s your favorite gift to get? Details-details-details.
- Here’s the scenario: You are planning a surprise birthday party for your best friend. You’ve all chipped in to buy her a special gift. What is it? How will you give it to her/him, how is it wrapped? Do you hide it and make them find it giving them clues to find etc. Let’s hear all about it.
Hey! No fair! I Have RIGHTS!
- It’s National Human Rights Month. Make a list of 10 rights you have as a student/kid!
- How do you feel when someone violates your rights? Give me an example when this has happened.
High Five For Hand Washing!
- It’s National Hand Washing Awareness month. You’re an elementary teacher and you need to make sure your students are not getting sick by passing germs around. Tell me 5 ways to make hand washing fun for little kids so they are more apt to wash those piggies!
The Pie’s Have It!
- It’s National Pie Day December 1st. What’s your favorite pie. Why?
- You’re in charge of the pie eating contest to raise money for your school. How are you going to pull that off? Tell me about the launch to the pies, to the winner and prizes.
- December 1st is also “Eat A Red Apple Day.” If you could only eat one fruit for an entire year, what would it be and why? How would you add variety to that fruit to make it non-boring. i.e., I like apples so I’d have apple sauce, drink cider etc.
Home Sweet Home:
- December 3rd is National “Roof-Over-Your-Head” Day! What’s your favorite room in the house? Why?
- You have $10,000 to design a dream bedroom, so get started. What does it look like, what’s it filled with, what kind of furniture do you have in it, what does the window look out over etc.
- Dec. 12th is National Ding-A-Ling Day! It’s your opportunity to hand out 6 awards! What are some things that people do that make you think they are complete ding-a-lings? Does this turn you off, drive you crazy? Let’s talk!
Just Go For It!
- December 20th is National Games Day. What’s your favorite game to play and why? How often do you play it? Are you good at it? Who do you play it with? This is a family game, board game, card or dice game etc. NOT a sport.
- You’re in charge of Game Night at school. So tell me about it. How do you promote it, posters, invites, announcements? Who’s coming? What games will you play? What will the prizes be? Details please.
- Games can also be sports! So what’s your favorite to watch or play? Same questions as number one, only this time the key game is SPORTS.
- You’re a Game Show Host! What TV game show are you the host of? You can make up a game show or tell me about one that’s already on TV. Give us a scenario.
Ooooh this is creepy!
- December 21st is National Flashlight Day and I’m handing you yours at the museum. I just love that movie Night In The Museum and that’s just where you’ve landed with 3 of your friends! The electricity’s gone off, the doors are locked, the displays have come alive and all you’ve got is your flashlight. Ready-set-action!
Go ahead; It’s OK!
- I used to ask my children: “Where do you go when you whine and cry?” “To bed!” they’d answer! But not on National Whiners Day. It’s OK. Go ahead and whine all you want. In 3 paragraphs whine away about whatever you feel like whining about!
It’s Time For A Change!
- It’s National Festival of Enormous Changes At the Last Minute Day on December 30th. What are some of the changes big or small that you’d like to make in your life for next year?
- They say the only people who really like change are babies with a dirty diaper. Is that true for you? Do you like change or do you like to keep things the same? Why or why not?
- How do you feel when people change their minds at the last minute? Can you go with the flow or does this drive you up the wall. Give me some examples please and explain yourself in both circumstances.
Lucky or not so lucky?
- The last day of December is unlucky day! Yuk! Who’d think up a day like that and then expects us to celebrate it? Some people are simply nuts with too much time on their hands. Anyway….Finish the phrase in as many ways as you want.
I feel unlucky because… then end on a positive note and flip it around with: I feel lucky because…
- Finish these sentences in detail: The unluckiest day of my life was when…, but the luckiest day of my life was when….
- You’re planning the school’s Christmas Dance. Tell me all the details from the invitations and decorations to the DJ or band as well as the food and other festivities + who all is coming.
- What’s your most memorable Christmas that you’ve ever had? Details please.
- You can travel anywhere in the world with your entire family to celebrate Christmas. Where will you go and what will you do?
- There are some fun writing prompts that make great December bulletin boards! Be sure to check them out on the main blog or click on the links: Writing A letter to Santa, Family Snowflakes, In December I lke to...poinsettia
November is such a fun month! So many goofy things going on to trigger kids' thoughts and get them excited to write! From pizza to football, turkeys to forget-me-nots, there's a little bit of everything! Here are just a few:
- November 10th is Forget-Me-Not Day! Does anyone out there know who thinks up these things? Does someone form a committee? Do they have to vote on them before they become a National Something or Another and then get added to our calendar? Anyway they make for some smilie-moments as I’m surfing the net trying to find out what’s going on in the month of November to jump start some writing prompts and get those creative juices flowing for your students. Hope you find these creative and thought provoking!
Play it again Sam:
- National Saxophone Day shares election day status on Nov. 6th. If you could play any instrument and be a concert virtuoso at it, what would you play and why?
- What’s your favorite kind of music to listen to? Why? On the other hand, what kind of music drives you up the wall? Why do you hate it?
- It’s Election Day! People were jailed and some even lost their lives trying to get the right to vote. Today, many young people are apathetic about the entire process and many have never voted. Why do you think this is? Will you vote when it comes time? Why do you think it’s important?
- You’re running for office. What office are you running for? How do you get those apathetic friends of yours out there to vote?
- There’s a part of your brain called the amygdala. It tends to remember things that are unforgettable. For example if you are a baby boomer like me, you remember exactly where you were the day president Kennedy was shot, or more recently, what you were doing when 911 happened. Tell me about something that happened in your life that will remain unforgettable as long as you live.
- It’s Peanut Butter Lover’s month. Are you a lover of peanut butter? Why or why not?
- Some things just drive people NUTS! What are some of the things that drive you nuts and why do they? What do you think you can do to calm yourself down?
- It’s that time of year again when the fans hit the stands and the men hit the field. Here’s the scenario, and they actually made a movie out of this story: A girl is a super football player. She wants on the team. Should she be able to try out? Why or why not?
I’m thankful for our Veterans! Happy Veteran’s Day!
- My dad was a Vet. He was in the 2nd World War and drove a tank for the army. He often talked about his time in Italy & Germany. I’m very proud of him for that. I couldn’t be in the military. I love my country, but I couldn’t shoot another person. How about you? Here’s the scenario: Obama declares war. Will you enlist? Could you shoot another person? Tell me how you feel?
I’ll take it with everything on it!
- National Pizza Day is the 12th. What’s your favorite kind of pizza? Now here’s your challenge. There’s a $1,000 prize to come up with a new pizza. What does yours have on it? What shape is it? Anything else cool or unusual about it? What’s it called? What will you do with the money if you should win?
Paging Miss Care Giver; you’re wanted in the OR Stat!
- Operating Room Nurses Day is the 14th. Would you want to be one? Why or why not? Or…has a nurse every really helped you? What happened? Details please.
If you can read this, thank a teacher!
- It’s National Book Month. You’re a famous author. What kind of books do you write? Why? What’s the title of your latest book? Why should I read it?
Now Read This!
- National Button Day is the 16th. What’s your favorite button say? Now you design one. (Teachers let’s have a class contest!) I still have my Badge – A – Minute™ button maker in the basement. I used to use it to help my pom pom girls raise money to pay for their uniforms. I also make photo magnets for my students to give to their families at Christmas. It’s been a fun craft tool I’ve used & enjoyed for a years. J
A is for Adopt
- Nov. is National adoption month. If you’re adopted tell me about it. Do you want to find your birth mother? If you’re not, do you think parents should tell their children that they are?
- Here’s the scenario: You’re adopted. You want to find your birth mother. You’ve located her! She knows nothing about you, and has not tried to contact you. She’s married and has a family. What do you do…tell me the story.
I’m fighting for my life!
- It’s National Diabetes Awareness Month. You’ve just been told you have diabetes. Tell me how you react, what you say, what you do, what your plans are.
- November 20th is World HELLO Day! Tell me 5 things you can do to make this world a friendlier place.
- Find out how to say Hello in 3 different languages. Bring it to class tomorrow to share.
- What are the things you are most thankful for and why?
- You’re in charge of the Thanksgiving feast. Where is it going to be? What are you having? Who’s coming? What’s the attire? What’s the entertainment afterwards?
- Would you rather have been an Indian or a Pilgrim at the first Thanksgiving feast and why? Write as if you are that person. What are you wearing, bringing, doing?
This freaks me out!
- Nov. 26th is Pins & Needles Day. What makes you feel like you’re on pins and needles and simply freaks you out? Why? What do you or can you do to peel yourself off the ceiling?
- Nov. 29th is National Square Dance Day. I remember having to learn how to square dance in gym class. It was one of the rare times the boys got to have gym with the girls. We had to wear our dorky gym outfits and I was so self-conscious and embarrassed. Tell me about a time that you could have died of embarrassment.
- Do you like to dance? Why or why not? If you do, what’s your favorite kind of dancing.
- It’s the ballroom dance championships. You are one of 5 finalists. What dance will you be dancing? What is the song you will be dancing to? What does your costume look like? What is your partner wearing? What does he/she look like? Where is this taking place? Do you win? Tell me the details.
Also click on the link for 80 writing prompts. This site also lists another 50. I have my college students use this site to jump start their brains when they write in their journals. Make sure you go over it so that you can develop your own appropriate list from it. Do not just send your elementary students here to pick one. Although most of the prompts are excellent, a few of these topics are not appropriate for younger students.
Happy Columbus Day!
- Would you have sailed with Columbus? Why or why not?
- Pretend you are a stowaway on board the Nina, Pinta, or Santa Maria. Write a descriptive paragraph of what it's like to sail the ocean blue in 1492.
It's Fire Safety Month here’s the scenario:
- You wake up to an annoying sound. After your brain clears you realize it’s the smoke alarm. One look around and you realize your house is on fire. What do you do next?
- You’re babysitting when you hear a scream from the 10 year old’s bedroom. You run upstairs to find that he and a friend have been playing with matches and the bedding’s on fire! So you…
- Your teacher has assigned a Fire Safety Project. The Big Kids have to teach a class of little kids about fire safety. What’s your project going to be? Details please.
- You’ve finally grown up and become what you’ve always wanted to be, a fire fighter! Tell me what it’s like.
It’s National Clock Month Choose One:
- Your alarm doesn’t go off and you’re late for a very important interview. Tell me how you handle it so you still impress them and land the job.
- Are you a person that’s on time or are you always running late? Is it important to be prompt? Why or why not?
- Are you a “morning person” or a “night time person” meaning you do your best or feel your best at those times.
- Tell me what some of your favorite things are that you like to do with your time.
- Tell me some of the things that you think are the biggest waste of your time.
- If you could change the school schedule how would you change it and why?
It's National Bat Appreciation Month:
- Do you like bats? Why or why not?
- What kinds of things in life drive you batty? Make a list.
- If you could turn into a bat like in the famous vampire movies, would you want to? What do you think it would be like to be a bat?
- Do you like the Twilight movies? Why or why not. Do you have a favorite character? Which one? Why?
I’m In A Spin…
- International Top Spinning Day is October 13th.
- I have my students spin tops as a great fine motor skill. You can also talk about planet earth being like a top because it too spins!
- What puts you in a spin, gets you in a real tizzy and makes you so upset you can barely think? Tell me about it. What do you think you can do to calm yourself?
- It's National Go On A Fieldtrip Month. If you could plan a fieldtrip for your class and you could go ANYWHERE, where would you go, when would you go, and what would you do?
Make Mine Pepperoni:
- National Pizza Month falls in October. What is your favorite kind of pizza? Do you have pizza often? If you could plan the ultimate pizza party with friends what would it be like?
- Is October 15th. Who is the sweetest person you know? Why?
- What can you personally do to be a sweeter person?
October 21st is Reptile Awareness Day:
- Hands down, my favorite reptiles are turtles; my least favorite are snakes. What is your favorite and least favorite reptile? Explain why.
Oh don’t be such a GROUCH!
- National Grouch Day is October 15th. (Who thinks up these things?)
- What makes you grouchy or causes you to get angry and blow your fuse? Do you have a temper or are you a “go with the flow” person. Tell me about yourself.
- Who in your life is a real grouch? Why do you think they act that way? What do you do or can you do, to make them less grouchy?
Frankenstein Friday: is October 28th. Here's the scenario: You too, are a "mad scientist" like Dr. Frankenstein. You have just created a monster as well! What does he/she look like? Have you named your monster? Describe your monster and then draw a picture of it.
Have some fun with the DICTIONARY
- Noah Webster wrote the American Dictionary. He was born on October 16, 1758. It took him nearly 50 years to complete it! Tell me what your passion is. Is this something that you could spend your whole life doing?
- Look up 5 new words in the dictionary. Use them in a sentence. See if your classmates know what they mean. Can they guess?
I Dare - double dare you to do something crazy!
- On October 24, 1901 Anna Taylor went over Niagara Falls in a barrel. Why do you think people do crazy things like that? Have you, or someone you know, ever done anything crazy? Tell me about it. If not, if someone dared you, or paid you $1,000 would you? What amount of money would make you do something crazy?
And The Light Goes On…
- Thomas Edison’s invention of the light bulb finally worked in October!
- Congratulations! You’ve just invented something terrific! You’re world-famous now. What did you invent and how has it helped mankind?
Happy Bosses Day!
- You’re CEO of a high-clas company. What do you make/market? What’s your job description? Tell me about a day in your jet-set life!
- You’re principal for the month of October. What changes will you make and why?
- You’re a journalist for the school newspaper. Interview your principal. Is this an easy job? What things did you find out that he he/she had to do that you weren’t aware of?
- If you could be principal for a day would you want to be? Why or why not? What kinds of things would you do?
National Pet Peeve Week is in October:
- I wonder if there’s a committee who thinks up these crazy things? Anyway a pet peeve is not a pet, it’s a thing that someone does that drives you crazy, gets your goat, & makes you go bananas. In other words you CAN’T stand it!
- Do you have a pet peeve? What is it? Why does it drive you nuts? Tell me about it. Maybe you’ll feel better just venting!
Spider-iffic Spiders-NOT! Ugh!
- I’m anathema to arachnids; which means I don’t like them. I LOVE teaching my students about them tho’, but when I was little a big ole’ pine spider dropped off the ceiling and plopped onto my shoulder while I was lying on my cot. (Arrg!) I’ve never quite gotten over it. Do you like spiders?
- Tell me something that you’re afraid of or that gives you the creeps and why.
October 31st is National Knock-Knock Joke Day: What's your favorite knock-knock joke? Do you like telling jokes? Do you think "laughter is the best medicine?"
- You’ve been asked to plan the Harvest Masquerade Ball. Tell me the details from invitations and food to decorations, entertainment and what you’ll wear plus where you’ll hold the festivities.
- Someone’s pounding on the door. You go to answer it and no one’s there, just 3 drops of blood on the front step. Tell me what happens next.
- The phone rings. It’s your best friend. She says that someone is following her as she is out trick or treating. Suddenly there is a scream and the line goes dead. What do you do?
- The boys dare the girls to go for a walk in the graveyard at midnight. Do you take the dare? Tell me the details.
- You’re out trick or treating. No one wants to go to the spooky house on the hill. You’re not afraid so you say you’ll go. You knock on the door. The door slowly creaks open; a hand reaches for yours and….. (Finish the rest.)
Put a little MAGIC in your life!
October 31st is National Magic Day. If you had magical powers what would you do to make your school a better place to be? How would having these powers change your life? What kind of powers would you have?
- If you want to spice up your lessons check out my videos and put a little magic in your classroom today!
- For more writing prompts, click on the link. I've made a booklet that contains some for each month on a variety of topics!
- I also have a FREE Picture-Driven Writing Prompts Packet for FALL! Click on the link to check it out.
- Click on the link for Dates In History October Writing Prompts.
I hope you have a simply "Spooktacular" time writing this month!
Welcome to my BLOG’s Writing Prompt’s section.
I LOVE writing, but let’s face it, most of our young students don’t . I believe that’s because they think they can’t. The more they write the better they get! It’s up to us to give them that practice and encouragement, and make them feel like AUTHORS!
I think the second reason is that they aren’t stimulated. They need to be excited to WANT to write, just like they are excited to share information with their friends verbally. Hopefully, these ideas will help turn your students on!
If you have some fun writing ideas please care & share with us. I gear my ideas according to the themes that most teachers do during the month as well as what holidays and National “whatever’s” are going on.
As your students are getting ready to sharpen their pencils, you may want to share these incredible carved pencil pix with them! Just click here to view them, and prepare to be amazed! All I can say is WOW!
Here's my paper that I send home to show parents the proper grip for holding a pencil.
It’s National HONEY Month. Here’s the scenario choose one:
- You and some friends are visiting a bee farm. While you are learning how to collect the honey, your friend gets stung by a bee. He/she tells you that they are allergic to bee stings and they start to panic. What do you do?
- You have blended several kinds of spices to come up with a superb tasting honey. It’s a national best seller. What do you call it? How do you promote it? What will you do with the money?
- While on a fieldtrip to a bee farm one of the kids knocks over a hive. Angry bees are swarming everywhere. Tell me what happens in the chaos and who saves the day.
- Do you want to go to college? Why or why not? What will you study to be if you do decide to go or what will you do if you don’t go?
It’s National One-On-One Month.
- Who would you like some one-on-one time with and why and what would you do during that time?
It’s National COUPON Month.
- You have the ability to write out 3 coupons to whomever you wish for whatever you want. What will you write them out for and who will you give them to and why?
It’s National SELF-IMPROVEMENT Month.
- What do you feel you need to improve on? How do you plan to go about doing that?
September 1-8th is National ENTHUSIASM week.
- What are you really enthusiastic about? Why? Why is it important to be enthusiastic? How can you help others become more enthusiastic?
September 13th -17th is Substitute Teacher Appreciation Week.
- Your teacher’s put you in charge of the class today. What kinds of educational activities have you planned? Tell me about your day as the substitute.
September 19th-24th is TURN OFF your TV WEEK.
- Why do you think that is important? Why do you think it’s so hard for people to turn off the TV?
- Write a paragraph about your favorite TV program, including WHY it’s your favorite, then tell me if you could turn off the TV for an entire week. Let’s say you HAD to-the electricity went off. What would you do for entertainment?
It’s National GOOD NEIGHBOR Day the 26th.
- Do you know your neighbors? Tell me about them.
- What would be your favorite kind of neighbor if you could have a “dream” neighbor.
- Like the creepy movie that was just out awhile ago, a person sees what they think is a murder taking place in the house across the street. Let’s say that’s exactly what YOU see.
- Tell me what happens next. YOU are in the boonies, NO cell phone…
The 18th of September is National RESPECT Day.
- Tell me who you respect the most and why.
- Do you think people respect you? Why or why not?
- How do you get people to respect you?
September 18th is also National Big Whopper LIAR Day.
- What’s the biggest lie you ever told. Were you discovered.
- Do you think lying is bad? Why or why not?
It’s “Talk Like A PIRATE Day” on the 19th.
- Would you like to be a pirate? Why or why not?
It’s National Keep Kids Creative Week starting the 26th.
- What is the most creative thing you’ve ever done?
Today’s the 26th and it’s Johnny Appleseed Day!
- If you could travel on foot anywhere in the world where would you go and what would you be doing? How would you earn money along the way?
- Apples - apples everywhere! This is the month for studying apples. Do you like apples? If you had to eat fruit everyday for an entire week, what fruit would you choose? How many ways can you think of to prepare it?
The big theme this month is obviously BACK-TO-SCHOOL.
- How do you feel about going back to school? Are you excited, a little scared or nervous? What are your favorite subjects? What do you hope to learn? Compare last year to this year. What are the biggest differences?
Happy September! Keep on WRITING!
Also click on the link for 80 writing prompts. This site also lists another 50. I have my college students use this site to jump start their brains when they write in their journals.
Make sure you go over it so that you can develop your own appropriate list from it.
Do not just send your elementary students here to pick one. Although most of the prompts are excellent, a few of these topics are not appropriate for younger students.
This person has their list copyrighted so please respect that as well.
July Writing Prompts Just In Case You're Teaching Summer School...
Or perhaps you simply LOVE to write like I do and would like some ideas for your journal. Hope these light a spark to the fireworks of your thoughts this month.
It’s Cell Phone Courtesy Month. What do you think that means? Do you have a cell phone? What age do you think it’s appropriate for a young person to get a cell phone and why?
It’s National Ice Cream Month. What’s your favorite flavor? Why? If you could have an ice cream named after you, what would it be called, what kind of ice cream would it be and why?
It’s National Make A Difference to Children Month. How can young people like yourself make a difference to someone younger than they are? Are you willing to do that? OR… Who is making a difference in your life?
The 4th through the 10th is Freedom Week. Write about what it means to you to be free. OR…you and some friends are hiking near the North Korean border. You don’t think that you are anywhere near it, but suddenly you are captured by North Korean police and thrown into prison. What do you do? What happens? Finish the story.
It’s Rabbit Week the 15th-21st. Here’s the scenario. A magician comes to town. When he says abracadabra YOU turn into a rabbit and none of your friends know it’s you. You do, however, have the power to talk. What’s your next move, I mean hop? Finish the story.
The 17th-23rd is National Zoo Keeper Week. You are able to change places with your uncle the head Zoo Keeper at the San Diego Zoo for an entire day. The monkeys have broken out of their pen and let 4 other animals out. They are running around the compound. What animals have they let loose and what will you do about catching them? Finish the story.
It’s the World Lumberjack Championships the 29th-31st and you and your best friend are going to compete. What competitions are you signed up for? Do you win?
Single Working Women’s Week starts the 31st and runs through August 6th. If you were a single working woman, what would you be doing and where would you be doing it?
Air-Conditioning Appreciation Days start July 3rd and run through August 15th. Do you have air conditioning in your home? Write about how you feel when you’re really hot and uncomfortable. OR… What’s the hottest day that you can remember. What did you do on that day?
Happy Canada Day July 1st. Find out some facts about Canada and then compare and contrast this country with America.
US Postage Stamp Day is the 1st. If you could design a postage stamp and the post office would print it, what would be on it, and why would you choose that?
Happy “I Forgot Day.” July 2nd. Write about one of the things you would like to forget forever and why you’d like to forget it.
Happy 4th of July. What plans do you have to celebrate this big holiday weekend?
This is also Invisible Day. If you were a super hero with the power to turn invisible anytime you wanted, how would you use this power?
Happy Chocolate Day July 7th. Here’s the scenario. You can have the ultimate chocolate party. Tell me all the details. The only catch is that EVERYTHING must have chocolate incorporated into it in some fashion.
July 7th is also Global Forgiveness Day. Is there anything or anyone you need to forgive? Why? OR Why do you think forgiveness is important? OR have you done something to someone that you wish they would forgive you for?
July 7th is also Tell The Truth Day. Have you ever lied? Has it gotten you into trouble? Is there ever a time when lying is OK?
It’s Teddy Bear's Picnic Day the 10th. Do or did you have a teddy bear when you were little? What was your favorite lovie? Does anything give you that kind of comfort/solace/peace now? How?
It’s World Population Day on the 11th. Surf the net and see if you can find out how many people live in America, now find out how many people live in the world. Do you think that’s too many people? Do you think our planet can sustain that many people as we continue to grow?
Embrace Your Geekness Day is the 13th. Are you a geek? Why or why not?
The 18th is Global Hug Your Kid Day. Who are you going to demand a hug from and why? OR are you a "huggy" type of person, meaning do you like giving and receiving hugs? Why or why not?
The 24th is Cousins Day. Do you have any cousins? Who are your favorites and why?
Tell An Old Joke Day is on the 24th. So what are you waiting for? Tell an old joke. Why do you think it's funny? OR are you good at telling jokes? Do you like telling jokes? Why or why not?
The 24th is also Parents Day. Do something nice for them and then write about what you did and their reaction. OR write about the things you like about your parents and some of the things you think your parents need to improve on. OR...write about how you will be when you become a parent and the things you will do differently.
The 29th is Lasagna Day. Can you make some? Do you like it? Well how about writing about it. Not too exciting? It’s also Talk in an Elevator Day. So try this experiment and then write about the results. Get on an elevator, and instead of facing the door and watching the numbers like everyone else, face the people, make eye contact and try to engage them in a conversation. Trust me, this will NOT be easy. Now write about what happened and why you think it down the way it did. Were you uncomfortable or did you have fun?
That's it for July.
Hope you have a simply sparkling time writing away!