Twinkle Twinkle Little Stars, Look How Far That You Have Come!
Whenever I got a chance, I plugged in nursery rhymes into my Y5’s day; I felt it was important to cover all sorts of genres.
Surprisingly, the longer I taught, the less little ones I found who knew nursery rhymes by heart!
I guess that sort of went the way of “I love to color!” and enjoying a coloring book.
I used to have an entire unit on nursery rhymes, but the school year zipped by so fast, that there was never enough time in May to get to everything I wanted to.
Twinkle Twinkle Little Star can be plugged in anywhere during the year, as most teachers have a Star Student board, and as teachers, we are endeavoring to help those little ones, twinkle and shine their brightest.
This 12-page packet is a fun way to reinforce a variety of Common Core State Standards: L.K.2a, L.1.2b, RF.1.1a, RF.K3c, RF.K.2a, RF.K.1a, RF.K.1c, K.G.1
The packet includes:
- The Twinkle Twinkle easy reader booklet. Students read the rhyme, trace and write the noun, color the star and color word the appropriate color. The last page provides several writing prompts.
- Skill sheet on similes
- Skill sheet on spatial directions
- Color word matching skill sheet
- 3 rhyming skill sheets (sky and star)
- Word cards to cut and put together to make the poem (Punctuation and capital letter 1st words included.) +
- A certificate of praise.
When everyone is done, read the booklet as a whole group to reinforce and review concepts of print.
So that you are also covering more standards, point out spaces, capital letters, end punctuation etc.
Any of these items, make nice activities for your Daily 5 or word work.
Click on the link to view/download the Twinkle Twinkle Little Star activity packet.
Thank you for visiting today. Feel free to PIN anything you think others might find worthwhile.
“May all of your troubles last as long as your New Year’s resolutions!” –Joey Adams